An effective, well structured programme using world class case studies to harness the skills, tools, tactics and processes of effective negotiators. In the changing competitive world we live in, the skills of effective negotiation are essential to doing good business. Professionals from all levels and from all disciplines need to master the Negotiation Edge to ensure they make a great deal – not just a good deal. In tough times when every percent counts, organisations may become increasingly sophisticated and sometimes aggressive in their approach to negotiation, therefore, it becomes critical for individuals handling negotiations to be confident, prepared and well equipped in the tools, tactics and strategies that shape their approach.
Margaret Considine, experienced negotiator will deliver this highly customised course to ensure that you are prepared and practiced to negotiate effectively and are match fit and in control when the deals are on the table.
- Clarify your objectives in negotiation: goal setting
- Understand the difference between Selling, Negotiation, Influence, Manipulation and Persuasion and how to adopt an interest based approach to negotiation for a mutual gains approach
- Understand the two types of Negotiation and how and when to use both: Creating V’s Claiming Value
- Manage the negotiation process through its different phases in order to achieve a mutually beneficial conclusion by understanding which needs will provide the strongest source of motivation to the person(s) you are dealing with Construct a total negotiation overview to determine personal position, the other party’s core competences, corporate strengths and weaknesses, and your competitive differentiation
- Identify negotiation behaviours, objectives, motives and tactics in order to maximise your position and maintain a good ongoing relationship.
Develop problem solving techniques, understand adversarial versus partnership negotiation and identify the true power and position of both parties.
Course Outline – Practical Negotiation Skills delivered by Negotiation skills specialist Margaret Considine
Session One: The Fundamentals of Negotiation.
- Understanding how a goal focus positively impacts negotiation: A look at how the effective techniques of a target focused approach helps stay on track through the process of negotiation
- Common Mistakes in Negotiation: A look at the effect these common mistakes have in negotiations and how to avoid them in your negotiations.
- Distinguish Distributive and Integrative Negotiation Concepts: Understand the value claiming and value creation concepts in negotiation and how and when to use each.
- Developing your Conflict and Negotiations Diagnostic Tools: How to move your approach from a position to an interests approach by understanding the needs and motivations of all parties to the negotiation. How to harness a mutual gains approach. Understand the impact of Reference Points, Anchors, Zopa’s, BATNA’s, WATNA’s, Ultimatums, & the NIP diagnostic on your negotiation.
Session Two: Putting it into Practice – Display your skills:
- Distributive Negotiation: You will be required to conduct a price negotiation.
- Review the result against goal and analyse.
- Receive feedback on your negotiation and start developing adaptive strategies.
- The object of this is to facilitate the giving of constructive feedback and advice to build on your individual strengths to shape progressive learning.
- The training style adopted seeks to encourage and reassure as well as providing challenge and stimulation.
- This section is central to the overall effectiveness of the day.
- Feedback from ongoing courses is very positive.
Session Three: Practice the Process of Negotiation
Each negotiation presents a different challenge and this section ensures that you take a consistent process approach that allows you to stay in control and focused in complex negotiations – whatever the situation may demand. Areas covered include:
- Understand the four step process of negotiation – Preparation, Opening, Bargaining & Closing.
- Harness the power of preparation: Practice the six steps of good preparation including two invaluable tools that visually plot each negotiation. Learn how to do this practical methodology.
- Assessing your base skills – to develop and improve the Seven Skills of More Effective Negotiators
Session Four: Putting it into Practice
- Display your skills : Integrative Negotiation: You will be required to prepare and conduct an integrative negotiation – Harvard Standard case study standard. Review the result against your goal and analyse the outcomes. Reflect on your performance and receive feedback on your negotiation. This section is central to the overall effectiveness of the day and adds a level of complexity to the previous negotiation.
Session Five: Own Negotiation Style- Psychometric
- Conquer the three elements of Opening: Building Rapport, Anchoring and Setting the scene and gathering data.
- Conducting an effective bargaining process: Learn & practice practical strategies, tools and tactics to effectively bargain on multiple variables trading in a complex negotiation. Assess concession patterns and how to read & avoid bargaining ‘traps’. Understand the concept of the contingent contract and shaping the negotiation for unpredictables such as ‘risk’, ‘future’.
Find out more information about this course or about how we can help your organization.
Please contact us now firstname.lastname@example.org or +353 1 2934741